If you’re into crunchiness and crispiness I think that my twisted version of the King Cake, the French Galette Des Rois, will blow your mind. All it takes is a few sheets of phyllo dough and a touch of Moroccan flavors to improve my frangipani (almond) cream. For the classic recipe you can find my version here. Don’t forget to add your lucky charms!
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of almond powder
- 1/3 cup of softened butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter + 2-3 tablespoons natural oil
- 1 eggs
- 1 tiny pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of baking powder
- 1 big pinch of cinnamon
- a drizzle of orange Blossom water
You will need
- 1 big bowl, 1 small bowl (or a glass), 1 knife,
- 1 spatula or a wooden spoon, a measuring cup,
- 1 brush or 1 kitchen paper towel, parchment paper, oven tray
Spread the almond cream in the center, add your lucky charms and fold the phyllo sheets towards the center. Keep in mind that the more layers you get the more crunchy your cake will be. Turn it upside down and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200C-400°F for 20-30 minutes.
Best comments from You Tube on French King Cake! Classic and Twisted Versions